Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Meet Jessica Overturf

Hey Everyone!  My name is Jessica Overturf and I’m a 2011 Hixson Scholar from Warren County.  In this post I’m going to share with you guys about living in the residence halls and working for ISU Dining.  


So, by now I think you all should know where you’re living in the fall and hopefully during your orientations you were able to tour the hall you’re moving into next month so that’s exciting!  When I thought about living in the dorms all I heard was that they were small and cramped and you’ll have no room, but it’s really not that bad.  You guys will be fine as long as you don’t cram too much stuff into that little room!  There are plenty of opportunities to meet new people through living in the dorms.  If you’re the type of person that likes to be president of something or really get involved, they will have those opportunities on your floor and your CA will talk more about it after you move in.  There will be various get-togethers that your whole hall will do too, like my freshmen year there was an area for people to make tie-dye t-shirts and other activities but it was a lot of fun and a good activity for you and your new friends to do together!  Living in the residence hall was one of the best experiences I had at Iowa State my freshmen year.  My random roommate is now my best friend and I’ve met the most amazing people from living there.  You’ll make many great new memories with everyone you meet and have a great experience here!  Now some of you will have a job on campus your freshmen year, if that is so make sure that you’re filling out applications now online if you haven’t already done anything so if they still have spots open they’ll be able to fit you right in.  I’ll put a link for those of you who want to look into working for ISU Dining.  It’s a good experience working for ISU Dining. They’re very accommodating with your class schedule and if you need time off to study for an exam for the most part if you warn them ahead of time you’ll be fine!  There are plenty of different locations you are able to work for on campus, you’ll see the different locations on the link.  If you have any questions, I think most of them can be answered on the page, choosing a location to work at, your starting wage will be $8.65, and you get to pick how many hours you want to work.  Just a tip, watch the amount of hours you work compared the amount of hours you are in class.  You don’t want to take on a heavy class load and a lot of hours at work, you’ll tire yourself out quick.  I would advise you to start small and if you want more hours I’m sure you can talk to your supervisor or just pick-up shifts when other people aren’t able to work them. Here is the link for the ISU Dining Employment page, http://www.dining.iastate.edu/employment/student-employment

I look forward to meeting all of you in the fall, I hope you have a great rest of the summer!

No comments: